Traffic Calming Petition

Click to view: Malvern Borough’s Local Traffic Calming Petition.

Malvern Borough Local Traffic Calming
Purpose: To address speeding and high volume cut-through traffic on Malvern Borough owned residential streets.

Traffic Calming Measures: Traffic Calming Measures (TCM) are physical traffic control or intervention measures designed to self-police a designated area. These measures include, but are not limited to, speed humps.

Note: Stop Signs are not considered traffic calming measures and cannot be used for speed control.

Designated Area: Any abutting property owner to the street segment where the TCM is being requested. Borough Council reserves the right to increase the boundaries of the designated area. Areas considered for Traffic Calming Measures (TCM) must meet established standards to qualify.

The criteria applied to each petition for TCM are; speed, volume, number of crashes, proximity to schools, school bus stops, pedestrian traffic and pedestrian facilities.

Qualification for a Traffic Calming Measure:

  • 80% of the properties in the designated area must be residential.
  • 80% of the residents in the designated area must support the program and have signed the petition.

Eligibility of a Traffic Calming Measure:

  • Residents must submit a standard TCM Petition to the Malvern Borough Police Department. The application can be picked up at the Police Department Monday through Friday from 8:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. and 1:30 P.M. to 4:30 P.M. or downloaded: Malvern Borough’s Local Traffic Calming Petition.
  • The Police Department’s Traffic Safety unit will conduct a study to determine the eligibility of the proposed designated area through the use of the Traffic Calming Project Ranking System.
  • If the petition meets the requirements of the program, the police department will prepare a recommendation for the Public Safety Committee (PSC).
  • The PSC then determines what action, if any, will be taken. This includes designating the area where the installation of a traffic calming device will take place, type of device to be installed and whether that device will be temporary or permanent. The Public Works Department is responsible for installation of the device, appropriate signage and painting.