Permits, Fees & E-Forms

The Buildings & Code Enforcement Officer & Zoning Officer have:
15 Business Days to review and approve Residential & Sign Permits**
30 Business Days to review and approve Commercial Permits & Zoning Applications**

**To ensure a timely approval process, make sure applications are complete.

Check Before You Submit a Permit! Open the following document to determine if a permit is required: When Is A Permit Required

Click to open: Permits – Frequently Asked Questions

When is a zoning permit required?

A Zoning Permit is required prior to the erection or structural alteration of any building, structure or portion thereof, and prior to the initial use or for changing use of a building or land and prior to the change, increase or extension of a nonconforming use. A Zoning Permit is also required for all home occupations, home professional offices or home business offices.

Click: Codes, Zoning, & Ordinances to access the Borough’s codes, zoning and ordinance webpage.

When is a Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical Permit required?

Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical Permits are required for both new and replacement work, as well as for new water supply and connection(s) to the sanitary service system.

Is Borough registration required for contractors?

Yes, all contractors that perform work in Malvern are required to be registered in the Borough. The contractors must provide adequate proof of Workers Compensation Insurance before they can be registered. This is for consumer protection. Consumers should ask to see the registration card.

When is a Certificate of Occupancy required?

Certificate of Occupancy is required for any change to a structure, and for all home sales and all rental units.

What are the requirements for commercial work?

All commercial work requires submission of plans to Malvern Borough.

Code Links

The following forms may be downloaded, printed, completed, and mailed to (or dropped–off at) the Borough Office. If submitting forms by mail, please send to:

Borough of Malvern

1 E. First Avenue, Suite 3

Malvern, PA 19355

Electronic Forms (Click on a Permit Name to open a PDF version)

Residential Permit Checklist Commercial Permit Checklist
Building Permit Mechanical Permit
Electrical Permit
Plumbing Permit
Conditional Use Application 
Road Opening Permit
Contractor Registration
Rental Permit
Alarm Permit
Re-Roofing Permit
Siding Permit
Sign Permit
Dumpster Permit
Fence Permit
Zoning Permit
Demolition Permit
Residential U & O Insp Permit Commercial U & O Insp Permit
Residential U & O Inspection Checklist
Application For Borough Room Rental 
Stormwater Operations and Maintenance Agreement MCV Complaint Form

In addition, the below four (4) permits require an additional $4.50 PA State fee to be paid when submitted:

  1. Building
  2. Mechanical
  3. Electrical
  4. Plumbing

Subdivision and Land Development Application

Fee Schedule

The current fee schedule associated with services of the Malvern Borough Zoning and Building Department. Click of this link to access a copy: Resolution No. 757 – Establishing Fee Schedule.

Rental Property Requirements

Malvern Housing License Requirements

Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act

As you know, this Act became effective July 1, 2009. Contractors who perform home improvements totaling $5,000 or more per year are now required to be registered with the Office of Attorney General. The new law requires written contracts between the contractor and you when the price of the project exceeds $500. All contracts should contain the contractors licensed registration number. If you are remodeling your home, be sure your contractor is registered with the Office of Attorney General before you sign a contract. Visit their website at or call toll free 1-888-520-6680. This new Act benefits you, the consumer!!! Be sure to check them out!!