How we came to be:
On November 19, 2019, Borough Council adopted Ordinance No. 2019 – 10, which establishes an Environmental Advisory Council (EAC) for the Borough of Malvern.
Helise Bichefsky, DO – Chair
Brian Walker – Vice Chair
John Butow – Secretary
Zoe Warner, PhD
The Committee responsibilities include:
- Advising the Malvern Borough Council, commissions, boards, committees and other Borough agencies on, and promoting education about, issues relating to the management, promotion, use, protection and conservation of Malvern’s natural resources.
- Working to maintain and develop the natural resources in the Borough in a way that will attract and retain residents, visitors and businesses without compromising ecological integrity.
- Identifying environmental problems and recommending plans to the Borough Council.
- Providing technical expertise on environmental aspects of subdivisions and land developments and providing environmental advice on specific projects upon request of the Borough Council or the Planning Commission.
- Recommending plans and programs for the promotion and conservation of the natural resources of the Borough
February 27, 2020 was the inaugural meeting and meetings will be subsequently held on the 4th Thursday of every month.
At our initial meeting, topics discussed included recycling guidelines, opportunities for composting, watershed management and conservation, and reducing single-use plastics. We were also joined by Sidne Bagline who discussed her native gardening practices and shared her experiences as part of an environmental committee in another municipality. She provided the EAC with documents on native plants and invasive species that residents are welcome to explore at Borough Hall.
- As we adjust to the new demands of safety and quarantine due to COVID-19, the following suggestions will allow you to stay safe and follow protective practices more sustainably.
- When washing hands, remember to turn off the water during scrubbing. 20 seconds is a long time to let the tap run, especially when washing multiple times a day!
- When picking up take-out food orders or doing curbside shopping, turn off your car while waiting. This helps maintain local air quality for those fulfilling orders and reduces harmful emissions.
- Don’t litter or spread contamination—properly dispose of single use gloves and masks in a trash can.
Finally – stay healthy and safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, enjoy social distancing in Malvern’s natural areas on the walking trails of Randolph Woods and the Paoli Battlefield Historical Park.
We would like to know what issues our residents are most passionate about. Therefore, we encourage public participation at our meetings and offer the opportunity for our Borough residences to get involved in EAC initiatives. Remember, we live in a big world but addressing environmental initiatives begins locally and collectively we can all have a huge impact!
VIsit us on Facebook!
2020 Meeting Agendas & Minutes
|February 27, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 28, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|June 25, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 30, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 27, 2020||Agenda|
|September 24, 2020||Agenda|
|October 22, 2020|
|November 19, 2020||CANCELLED|
|December 10, 2020|
From the EAC