PECO offers tips to help customers save energy and money
By taking a few simple steps, customers can save 20-30 percent or more on their monthly energy bill this winter. Here’s how:
- Keep blinds, shades and drapes open on sunny days to take advantage of solar heating.
- Keep heating vents clean with a vacuum or broom and do not cover ducts with drapes or furniture that can block the airflow and possibly cause a fire.
- If you have a fireplace, keep the fireplace damper closed tightly when not in use.
- Set your heating thermostat at 68 degrees or lower during the day, health permitting. Set your thermostat at 55 degrees for the night, or when you will be away for more than four hours.
- Instead of turning the heat up, put on a warm sweater and socks. Keep throw blankets in rooms that you frequent most.
- Use an exhaust fan only when necessary. Exhaust fans in your kitchen and bathroom pull the hot air that rises to the ceiling out of your home.
Weatherize your home
- Inspect the insulation between heated and unheated areas to ensure insulation is at least six inches thick. Insulation is the single most important energy conservation measure. It will deteriorate over time and occasionally needs to be reinforced.
- Inspect the caulking or weather stripping around windows, doors and any openings to the outside such as dryer vents. A drafty house lets warm air escape and is much more costly to keep warm – especially on the coldest days of the season.
- Install plastic sheeting for windows if homes do not have storm windows or double pane windows.
- Remove window air conditions if possible, or install an air conditional cover to stop drafts.
Warm up your heating system
- Have your furnace professionally inspected every two years. A well-maintained system will last longer, operate better and save you money.
- Replace the filter for your heat pump or furnace for the new heating season. Dirty filters block airflow and force equipment to work harder – this increases operating costs and can cause damage.
- PECO Smart Natural Gas Conversion offers rebates up to $650 for residential and commercial customers that switch to natural gas from another fuel source.
- PECO Smart Gas Efficiency provides up to $350 in rebates for customers installing an energy efficient natural gas boiler, furnace or water heater.
- PECO Smart Home Rebates offers customers up to $1,000 for switching from any electric heat course to an ENERGY STAR® natural gas furnace or boiler.
For more ways to save energy and money this winter, customers can visit www.peco.com/SmartIdeas or call 1-888-5-PECO-SAVE (1-888-573-2672).